To moan and complain about that smacks of entitlement

< Previous | Next >

SpAndrea

Italiano
Which is the meaning of the word 'entitlement' in this article ?

aaronmahnke.com/blog/2012/9/27/entitlement

From dictionaries I found 'entitlement' can be translate as 'diritto' but in the article 'entitlement' seems to be used as a negative workd (and 'diritto' has not negative meaning).

For example:

"To moan and complain about that smacks of entitlement and selfishness."

So it's sound like 'entitlement' is used as 'arrogance'.

Thank you
Andrea

• Einstein

UK, English
    I've looked and I see that Entitlement is used a few times and is also the title! I find this a very strange use of the word, which usually means the right to something: "entitled to vote", or example.
    I presume the author means that people always think they are entitled to something better and that this is a form of arrogance. I can't think of another explanation. See what others think...:rolleyes:

elfa

English
    Hi Andrea,

"Entitlement" here means that something that is owed by right, so in this sense, could "diritto" be a translation? Whoever is making this statement thinks that the complainer(s) here are selfish because they think they are owed something by right.

@ Einstein, this is a very contemporary use of the word - it's crept into people's vocabularies lately and has a negative meaning. It's a description of the attitude people are perceived to have in society about being "owed" something by right - i.e. a good standard of living, a job, nice clothes, a celebrity lifestyle etc. (but without necessarily having to earn it by working hard). I think it's an attitude that is (wrongly in my view) equated with a person's sense of dignity.

Edit: just read the link (which I didn't see :p). The article bears out what I have been saying...

Last edited:

sab1971

Italy - Italian
    Ciao Andrea.

I've just come across this definition:
    entitlement: belief that one is deserving of or entitled to certain privileges.

I would use the word "presunzione" (=avere molte pretese) rather than "arroganza".

SpAndrea

Italiano
    Thanks to all.

So a possible translation of
    could be
    "Lamentarsi e lagnarsi di questo puzza di presunzione ed egoismo"

Do you agree ?

Holymaloney

English (UK) / Italian - bilingual
    Thanks to all.

So a possible translation of
    could be
    "Lamentarsi e lagnarsi di questo puzza di presunzione ed egoismo"

Do you agree ?
    Ciao Sp :)!
    La tua frase andrebbe bene ma personalmente non mi piace tanto l'uso della parola 'puzza' perchè troppo colloquiale (non ho letto l'articolo perchè il link che hai postato...non c'è :rolleyes::D quindi non so il tono se è formale o informale). Comunque suggerirei qualcosa come '...lamentarsi e lagnarsi di questo sa tanto di presunzione ed egoismo...'. Ora, non sono sicura se questa espressione è regionale (da noi si usa molto), sicuramente è informale. Vediamo cosa ne pensano gli altri ;) .

curiosone

AmE - hillbilly ;)
    Ciao a tutti! :)
    Mi sembra che abbiate chiarito bene "entitlement" e "smacks", ma vorrei aggiungere che (in inglese) non mi piace la frase "moan and complain." I've always heard it said "moan and groan."

SpAndrea

Italiano
    @Holymaloney
    Hai ragione, anche io avrei scritto "sa tanto" ma l'articolo è molto (ma molto) critico con chi si lamenta ed è colloquiale quindi "puzza" mi sembrava più in tono.

Il link non è postato come link diretto perché come utente nuovo non ho il permesso :p, ma se fai copia ed incolla nella barra di navigazione dovrebbe funzionare.

ciao

< Previous | Next >