to move the line around

ekbatana

German Austria
What does "to move the line around" mean in the figurative context mean? I came accross it in a legal text and did not find any satisfactory answers on google by myself. I pasted two references that I found on google:

1. The idea for most of us is keeping the processing to a minimum and yet have tasty food. Everyone is going to draw that line in the sand in a different spot. Some will let their health issues help define the line. Some will move the line around depending on the situtation. I have my lines drawn.

2. Finding that balance between removing barriers that slow down change and putting up barriers that stop pointless change is difficult. In politics we are always trying to move the line around. Sometimes we get it right and sometimes we get it wrong.

• quillerbee

Canadian English
    The idiom here is "to draw the line" in the metaphorical sand, to set your borders, and say this is what I will and will not tolerate.

Moving it around seems to defeat the purpose and is not a term that is normally used.

ekbatana

German Austria
    Thanks again for your explanation, quillerbee. I read the (legal) text once more and your explanation is exactly on point because the digest deals with the "increasingly blurred line between arbitration and litigation" and mentions the obscuring of the once-sharp line between arbitration and litigation.

< Previous | Next >