To murder every human...

< Previous | Next >

Unless

England, English
There is a word that exists ending in the suffix -cide that describes the murder of every human being on the planet. I read this word several years ago but I now cannot find reference to it. The original place I read this word was on a website which simply listed words ending in various suffixes.

Does anyone know what this word is?

Many thanks.

• helendeformsa

ROC, Taiwanese
    There is a word that exists ending in the suffix -cide that describes the murder of every human being on the planet. I read this word several years ago but I now cannot find reference to it. The original place I read this word was on a website which simply listed words ending in various suffixes.

Does anyone know what this word is?

Many thanks.

Is genocide at the tip of your tongue?

Genocide is deliberate extermination of a nation or race of people.

Unless

England, English
    Genocide implies the destruction of a particular group of people; the word I am looking for describes the destruction of every human regardless of their ethnic, religious or cultural identification. It would presumably include self-destruction as a final act.

The word I am looking for is not genocide.

Unless

England, English
    I did consider that xenocide may be the word I was looking for. However the word xeno means stranger or foreigner thereby implying that xenocide describes the destruction of a foreign race.

helendeformsa

ROC, Taiwanese
    My closes guess would be the not-quite-sure-it-actually-is-a-word "omnigenocide".
    Since there is no such word, it's not a bad idea that we coin one. And have a vote which is the best newly coined word.
    OK, Listen up, my shot is:

panhomicide or pangenocide

Unless

England, English
    Thank you for all your replies. Populicide was probably the word I read in fact, but it doesn't seem to actually describe the complete destruction of every human life on earth. This word sounds more like an act one might take against a nation, similar to genocide but without discrimination.

As far as the possibly made-up names are concerned humanocide and pan-genocide are suitably fitting but the word omni-genocide seems to have the gravitas to capture the spirit of the act. The murder of all groups of people.

Unless

England, English
    It couldn´t really be murder if everyone on the planet were to die, could it?
    That's a good point. The word murder means unlawful killing, if there is no one to enforce the law then effectively there is no law.

However, attempted populicide* could be punished by the law so therefore the legal term murder could be used.

* I used that word for the sake of creating a sentence.

Joca

Brazilian Portuguese
    By the way, must it be a word ending in -cide? I was thinking about the Armageddon, the final battle which will bring the end of the world, not only of the human race.

Unless

England, English
    The word I was trying to remember definitely ended in -cide but as I said I think that may have been populicide.

The word Armageddon seems to indicate a side effect, Armageddon as a result of a major conflict. As a premeditated act it seems more of a biblical word.

Joca

Brazilian Portuguese
    Hello:

I admit this is off-topic, but may I ask you why you need the word? I mean, is it just out of curiosity, or are you going to use it somewhere, in an essay, poem, etc?

Thanks.

JC

Unless

England, English
    It has popped into my mind several times over the last few years so I thought I would try to find the answer. I just find it fascinating that a word was ever created for such a purpose, pure curiosity!

< Previous | Next >