To my mind / In my opinion

Galinette.v

Russian
Hello, everybody. :)
Please, tell me if it is true that now they don't use these two phrases "To my mind" and "In my opinion" in English any more and for many years already. If it's true, could you please give me some "modern" equivalents to replace these "out-of-date" phrases.
I was very puzzled to hear it today.
Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

Last edited:
  • DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Hi Galinette: welcome to the forum! :)

No, this certainly isn't true. I use "In my opinion" frequently in the forum here to show people that something I'm saying is just my personal view with which other members may disagree. The other one, "to my mind", is a slightly less common way of conveying roughly the same idea, but's not out-of-date.

Galinette.v

Russian
    Oh, thanks a lot for your messages, Translationfun and Donny! I really appreciate your quick replies because this "theory" seemed to me very strange.
    Have a good evening!

Last edited:

jarabina

English - Scotland
    Agree with others that these phrases are still in use and I would also stress that they are used to emphasise contrast and not just introduce opinion. I use "To my mind" sometimes, but it is very formal and I only use it in a very limited set of situations. Mostly common I probably say "I think" just stressing the "I", esp. in less formal situations.

Galinette.v

Russian
    Thank you very much Jarabina! :)
    (Sorry, Translationfun I did'n see your answer at first as I was in a hurry. Thank you too of course). ;-)
    All your answers are very useful for me. I like it here! :))
    See you!

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    There's nothing old-fashioned about "in my opinion" or "to my mind" if you ask me, Galinette. The way I see it, the 100 million hits on Google for "to my mind"* mean it's in very common use. As far as I'm concerned they are perfectly ok.

[The phrases in italics are three alternative (more colloquial) ways of saying "to my mind" or "in my opinion".]

*(Though some of these Google hits are picking uo "to my mind" in a different construction.)

Last edited:

Galinette.v

Russian
    So, I've written down all your explanations and very useful synonyms and I'm eternally thankful for all your so kind help. You are all great . :)

stez

english - australia
    To my mind, a phrase like 'to my mind', particularly when employed on forums such as this, is a useful tool to remind people that what follows is merely a subjective opinion and not canon law. A very high percentage of my posts begin with 'to my mind', notwithstanding its supposed formality.

< Previous | Next >