'To my view, ...' OR 'In my view, ...'???

Li'l Bull

Spanish (Spain)
Hi, native speakers of English!

Just a very quick question:

Can you use 'To my view, politicians are all the same' instead of 'In my view, politicians...'

Thanks in advance.

• MikeLynn

Hi everybody, I just wonder if "in my view" is similar to "from my point of view". I know that it probably depends on the context, but I would appreciate any advice you can give me :) Thank you

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Hi everybody, I just wonder if "in my view" is similar to "from my point of view". I know that it probably depends on the context, but I would appreciate any advice you can give me :) Thank you
    Sorry to confirm, but it does, indeed, depend on context.
    Having said that, some general comments.

"In my view" introduces my opinion about something. This, or something similar, often introduces what I post in this forum. I am expressing my own personal opinion.

"From my point of view" is rather different. It suggests that there is something about me that will make my opinion typical of people like me. I am placing myself as one of this set. I would not use this expression to introduce a personal opinion.

MikeLynn

Thank you panjadrum for your quick answer. If I dare to "rephrase" it - from my point of view is "the way I see it", while in my view is, as said before, in my opinion, what I believe is true, and sometimes, only sometimes, they can be interchangeable. I'm not sure I've made myself clear, but I did try my best.:D M&L

Last edited: