to overnight a letter

Vivemafille

English
Does anyone have a suggestion for how to say "to overnight a letter/package" (or: to send a letter by overnight mail)? By this I mean that you send the letter today, and it arrives sometime tomorrow morning.

a. He needs to get this package as soon as possible.
b. OK, I'll overnight it.

• WordOrder

Russian
    At the telegraph ages, we have a special type of a telegram, it's called телеграмма-молния or simpy молния“lightning”. It was an express telegram and delivered in minimum possible time. Thus, the expression послать молнией — “to send by the lightning” appears. It's used both in direct and in figurative sense to express the concept of sending something urgently. However, the expression get out of use gradually and I wouldn't recommend you to employ it. Instead, just say it directly — я отошлю это письмо немедленно.

Vivemafille

English
    At the telegraph ages, we have a special type of a telegram, it's called телеграмма-молния or simpy молния“lightning”. It was an express telegram and delivered in minimum possible time. Thus, the expression послать молнией — “to send by the lightning” appears. It's used both in direct and in figurative sense to express the concept of sending something urgently. However, the expression get out of use gradually and I wouldn't recommend you to employ it. Instead, just say it directly — я отошлю это письмо немедленно.
    Thanks.

Maroseika

Russian
    The problem is that there is no such a mail service that delivers mail to any point the next day.
    But there are services delivering it next day to some points. This is курьерская служба (e.g. from Moscow to Petersbrug) or, more generally, экспресс-почта (they have special serivce for overnight delivery - с доставкой на следующий день, but also not to any point).
    So, depending on the context, you may say: Я отправлю письмо экспресс-почтой / через курьерскую службу / с курьером.

< Previous | Next >