to pack away/put away/stow away summer clothes

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
Hello,
Which verb would sound best in: "It's getting cold and I have to stow/pack/put my summer clothes away"? If we want to be a little more specific, would it be fine to say: "I am going to put/stow my summer clothes in the wardrobe downstairs"?
I am 90% sure that all of the verbs above cannot be used in that context. If that's true, what would you use instead?

Thank you

• heypresto

English - England
    If you are simply going to put the clothes in a wardrobe, I would say 'I have to put my summer clothes away'.

If you use 'pack' it sounds to me like you are putting the clothes in suitcases. To 'stow' them would sound like you are storing them in the hold of a ship.

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
    If you are simply going to put the clothes in a wardrobe, I would say 'I have to put my summer clothes away'.

If you use 'pack' it sounds to me like you are putting the clothes in suitcases. To 'stow' them would sound like you are storing them in the hold of a ship.
    Thank you, heypresto. I assume that "stow" is not often (if ever) used in this context. That's what I usually do, I put them in one of my wardrobes, but some people use vacuum bags. I have never used them, but they basically put their clothes in and use a hoover to suck all the air out. Can we use "pack away" if we do that?
    Thank you again. :)

snorris

Spanish Cuban- English US

He's correct. I like this.

< Previous | Next >