to pause for a moment

Arcona

German
Hello,

can I say:

During a stressful day it is good to pause for a moment.

I'm wondering if the phrases " it is good" (meaning: it is good for you, it helps you to relax)
and "to pause for a moment" (meaning: to stop working for a short period and then continue)
are colloquial. Does the sentence make sense to you?

Thank you.

Last edited:
  • Ann O'Rack

UK
    UK English
    Yes you can. I don't think the phrases are colloquial, and your sentence is clearly understood as you explained it. (And a very good idea too! :D )

Arcona

German
    Thank you very much for your reply, Ann O'Rack.
    I'm glad my sentence can be understood the way it is ment. But is there a way I could say this with more colloquial phrases? Unfortunately I can't think of any that would imply the same. Would you have a suggestion?

Ann O'Rack

UK
    UK English
    Arcona, do you need to be more colloquial? Your sentence is easily understood and isn't formal, it's just very clear.

But context is everything, as always. Can you tell us what you're writing, who to, why, and perhaps a few other sentences just before this one so we can understand the tone you're trying to get.

Arcona

German
    Thank for your helpful suggestions, Enquiring Mind.

Thanks again, Ann O'Rack. There is no more context. It's just a comment to a picture (of the peaceful backyard behind my office where I like to sit when I take a break from work) that I want to send to a friend.

Ann O'Rack

UK
    UK English
    Thank for your helpful suggestions, Enquiring Mind.

Thanks again, Ann O'Rack. There is no more context. It's just a comment to a picture (of the peaceful backyard behind my office where I like to sit when I take a break from work) that I want to send to a friend.
    You have now given us very clear context. And in that context I think your sentence works very well, it's not too formal. You could contract "it is" to "it's" if you want, that's the only thing I'd suggest. :)

I could suggest others ...
    "When the going gets tough, the tough put their feet up..."
    "Break time at the office."

But my preferred one is...
    During a stressful day it's good to pause for a moment.

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    Hello,

can I say:

During a stressful day it is good to pause for a moment.

I'm wondering if the phrases " it is good" (meaning: it is good for you, it helps you to relax)
    and "to pause for a moment" (meaning: to stop working for a short period and then continue)
    are colloquial. Does the sentence make sense to you?

Thank you.

"... to pause for a moment" -- and do what? To just freeze in place? To stare at the wall?

I think you mean that it is good to pause and relax. Or to pause and take a break. This is implied, but you didn't actually say it.

Ann O'Rack

UK
    UK English
    Nothing wrong with staring at walls, Sparky! I spend a lot of my day doing just that! :D And yes, the relaxing and taking a break is implied, so Arcona doesn't need to say it explicitly, it would spoil the sentence if he* did.

(* Apologies if Arcona is female.)

Arcona

German
    Thank you so much, Ann O'Rack and Sparky Malarky, for your very helpful (and amusing) comments. It's a lot of fun to use your language and to learn more about it every time.

< Previous | Next >