...to pay me not on an hourly basis but for the actual amount of work that I do.

JJXR

Russian
Hello to all,

Thanks for reading my post.

Sample sentence:

I want to tell my employer that I want him to pay me not on an hourly basis but for the actual amount of work that I do.

Question:

Do the bolded parts work in my sentence?

Thanks a lot for any comments, corrections or suggestions!

Regards,
JJXR

• Packard

USA, English
    In the USA workers are usually paid by the hour, or with a fixed salary, but some companies pay by "piece work".

Piece work - Wikipedia

Piece work (or piecework) is any type of employment in which a worker is paid a fixed piece rate for each unit produced or action performed[1]regardless of time.

Packard

USA, English
    Also the use of 'basis', as in 'on an hourly basis' is famously bad style. Why don't you say 'by the hour'?
    I don't use "basis" like this but I never realized it was famously bad style. But looking at the dictionary definition it is not bad style; it is wrong.

It probably originated (a guess) when someone said, "You will paid $40.00 per week, based on a salary of $1.00 per hour." And the "based" became "basis". In any case it is plain old wrong.

ba·sis
    ˈbāsəs/
    noun
    1. the underlying support or foundation for an idea, argument, or process.
      "trust is the only basis for a good working relationship"
      • the system or principles according to which an activity or process is carried on.
        "she needed coaching on a regular basis"
        synonyms: starting point, base, point of departure, beginning, premise, fundamental point/principle, principal constituent, main ingredient, cornerstone, core, heart, thrust, essence, kernel, nub More

• the justification for or reasoning behind something.
        "on the basis of these statistics, important decisions are made"
        synonyms: foundation, support, base; More
    (From Google definitions)

< Previous | Next >