to pay not to sell out our children and grandchildren's future

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
And they think they're coming to conquer us, too. (.......) It sounds absurd to us, but it's what they've been taught all their lives by their violent supremacist religion. (.......) And they keep telling us, too, but we don't want to hear it, because it's just too outlandish an idea for us to take seriously, like nine eleven or something. Besides, we're afraid that if we do take it seriously somebody might call us a racist, and that's far too high a price for us to pay not to sell out our children and grandchildren's future, so we're just going to sit back like beached whales and let it happen, for the sake of inclusion.
Europe Is Killing Itself, video by Pat Condell

I wonder if we replace the "not to sell" part with "for not selling", would it have the same meaning?
Thank you.

• "Sell out" means "betray".

"If you accuse someone of selling out, you disapprove of the fact that they do something which used to be against their principles, or give in to an opposing group". (Collins)

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    "Sell out" means "betray".

"If you accuse someone of selling out, you disapprove of the fact that they do something which used to be against their principles, or give in to an opposing group". (Collins)
    Sorry, but I asked if the prepositional pharse here would have the same meaning as the infinitive: "to pay to (do something)" vs "to pay for (doing something)".

Sorry. Yes, I think you can replace "not to sell out" with "to pay for not selling out". In fact, I would have said "to pay for not selling out". It sounds more natural to me, but wait for others.

< Previous | Next >