To penetrate

< Previous | Next >

ThomasK

Belgium, Dutch
I have a question regarding one part of a famous C.S. Lewis quote: "The incognito is not always easy to penetrate."
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade, the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito. And the incognito is not always easy to penetrate.(
(Source: brainz.org/quote)

The transitive use of the word is not that common, I guess, one generally penetrates into something. But is this more like examining to/ going into it and understanding, or is it more like lifting, unmaking? I suppose that remains a matter of interpretation, but I'd like to see how you feel about this 'penetrating an incognito' literally.

Last edited:
  • perpend

Banned
    American English
    I understand it as "breaking into something", in this case, the incognito (here meaning God).

So, there's this omnipresence of God, but sort of on the down-low, and we aren't all that aware of it.

And, it's not easy to break into (i.e., "penetrate") this "presence", because we need to become more aware to do so.

ThomasK

Belgium, Dutch
    I see, thank you very much. I may be allowed though to ask for some more details regarding this 'breaking into': it is not really 'breaking through', is it? More like slowly opening up to that presence, breaking through the 'untransparant' surface and getting to know/ perceive/... the presence better?

< Previous | Next >