to perfect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alaor Santos

Portuguese Brazil
Hi everyone!

In Portuguese we have this verb for which I think I need some help to find the equivalent in English. It is not the case of looking it up into my language because that will not be good enough.
If you ask me to draw a tree I will draw a tree. But if you want me to be very careful and do a very good picture you will use that verb:
Alaor, draw a tree, but "_________". We have this verb, "caprichar". If I use it after 'but' I will convey you the message that I want you to do your best.

Another example,

if you ask me to sweep the floor I will do it. But if you use that verb again I will sweep the floor so carefully you will compliment me.

It would mean 'do your best' and 'do it very very carefully'.

The translation into English is: Caprichar: 1) to try to excel; 2) to perfect, to elaborate carefully.

Any equivalent verb, please? Or expression, something?

Thank you

Alan

• wandle

English - British
    It would mean 'do your best' and 'do it very very carefully'.
    The translation into English is: Caprichar: 1) to try to excel; 2) to perfect, to elaborate carefully.
    Any equivalent verb, please? Or expression, something?
    This seems to be a translation question.

I do not know of any equivalent single term in English. Certainly, there is no such term in common use.
    There are many possible phrases, such as: 'do it as well as you possibly can', 'I want you to do your very best', etc.

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    You can say "be meticulous" (very careful and precise), which would work when drawing a tree, but I don't know that anyone would ever say "sweep the floor meticulously".;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >