to persuade / to convince

< Previous | Next >

Englishisgreat

German
Dear all,

Today I have read the following sentences:

Having persuaded the bank that there was a market, he needed to find these consumers.

He will have to convince consumers that he offers a good product at a fair price.

My question is to know if you can use in these sentences to convince and to.persuade interchangeably or exist any slight difference between the two verbs ?

Best regards

Christos

• boozer

Bulgarian
    They are synonyms, generally.
    This is my feeling:
    persuaded the bank that there was a market - the bank did not want to believe it
    convinced the bank that there was a market - the bank probably knew it or was willing to believe it so he gave the bank assurances

Others may disagree, though...

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    I have been taught that—traditionally and technically—"convince" means to make someone believe something, and you "persuade" someone to do something.
    BUT... this distinction breaks down and people interchange them in usage. Another one of those obsolescent rules in English.
    Aside from the above, I have an intuition that "persuade" focuses on the efforts of the persuader, while "convince" focuses on the result in the person who is convinced.

I have been taught that—traditionally and technically—"convince" means to make someone believe something, and you "persuade" someone to do something.
    BUT... this distinction breaks down and people interchange them in usage. Another one of those obsolescent rules in English.
    Aside from the above, I have an intuition that "persuade" focuses on the efforts of the persuader, while "convince" focuses on the result in the person who is convinced.
    I agree with all your points.

Englishisgreat

German
    Dear all,

Many thanks for your feedback.

I understand now the distinction between the two verbs.

Best regards

Christos

< Previous | Next >