To pick one's nose

< Previous | Next >
  • Rosamond

Arabic
    يُدْخِلْ إِصبَعَه في أنفه is to pick one´s nose (in colloquial Egyptian they say يَلْعَب بِصُبَاعُه في أنفه)
    إصبع = صُبَاعْ في العامية

Last edited by a moderator:

clevermizo

English (USA), Spanish
    Thanks, Cherine!

So, it becomes لعب في مناخيره (lá3iba fi manakhiirih), is it right?
    Since this is colloquial, it would be le3eb fi manakhiiro or perhaps la3ab, not sure about the vowels on this verb in Egyptian (present tense beyel3ab). You can't use منخار/مناخير in standard Arabic as far as I know.

clevermizo

English (USA), Spanish
    Apart from the fact it refers specifically to the nostrils in Fus7a is there any other reason you couldn't use it?
    Well I meant you can't use it to mean أنف. It means nostrils in fus7a? I didn't realize منخار/مناخير could be used in fus7a at all. For nostrils I assumed ثقب الأنف but I did just find منخر under ن خ ر in لسان العرب but it is منخر/مناخر and not منخار/مناخير.

Abu Rashid

Australian English
    Well I meant you can't use it to mean أنف. It means nostrils in fus7a?
    Well it's certainly used in ahadith, which to me is fus7a-validation enough. In English translations it appears as "nostrils", so I've always assumed the difference between anf and manakheer was between the entire nose or just the nostrils, respectively. In the hadith I remember that uses this word it speaks of being dragged by the manakheer, which would seem to indicate nostrils.

< Previous | Next >