To pickle the pig on the poker

Tadeja

Slovenian
Hello

I've searched for the phrase mentioned in the title, but unfortunately haven't been able to find out the meaning.

Can anyone help me with rephrasing it?

The context (from a book A Season Beyond A Kiss):

"What are you going to do about it now?"
Farrell blew out his breath in frustration. "That, Jeffrey, me dearie, is what pickled the pig on the poker. It's damned frustrating, but I don't know if I can do anything about it."

Thank you.

Tadeja

Last edited:
  • Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Welcome to the forum!

I confess I'm completely mystified. The expression is not familiar to me, and when I searched for the phrase via Google (as well as for "pickle the pig" and "pig on the poker" separately), all that I found were references to this forum and to the book quoted!

Perhaps someone else will be able to help.

ppaul562

English - and the richness of her dialec
    The only expression that I know is "to buy a pig in a poke". This means to buy something without first seeing it, and usually end up paying a lot more than the item is worth. I think that the expression originates from the days when people would take a pig (a small one I guess) to market in a bag, or poke. The smart buyer would obviously wish to see the contents of the bag before parting with his money. The not so smart would simply buy the pig in the bag (poke).

This does not really answer the question. But if you take a little more of the context into account it might give a clue.

grubble

British English
    The only expression that I know is "to buy a pig in a poke". This means to buy something without first seeing it, and usually end up paying a lot more than the item is worth. I think that the expression originates from the days when people would take a pig (a small one I guess) to market in a bag, or poke. The smart buyer would obviously wish to see the contents of the bag before parting with his money. The not so smart would simply buy the pig in the bag (poke).
    ...and if the seller had hidden a cat in the bag pretending it was a pig, the wise buyer would open it up and "let the cat out of the bag". I think that the pickled pig saying is simply an alliterative play on the better known phrase that ppaul mentions. Possibly it was invented by the author. I don't think it means anything much.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >