to plug in a USB drive

yuechu

Canada, English
大家好!

Would anyone know how to talk about "plugging in one's USB drive (into the computer)" in Chinese?
For example, would you use 插 or 插入?
Thanks! :)

• hx1997

汉语普通话 Chinese - Mandarin
    Yes, 插/插入U盘. 插入 is more formal.

Edit: if you say that as an instruction, I think 插上U盘 or 把U盘插上/插进去 would be better.

yuechu

Canada, English
    OK! Thanks, hx1997! :)

For "I'm going to plug the USB drive into the computer", could you say "我要把U盘插电脑" or "我要插U盘在(?)电脑"? (I don't think the last one works, right?)

hx1997

汉语普通话 Chinese - Mandarin
    That would have to be 我要把U盘插到电脑上/插进电脑. You have to include the result of your action: 到...上 (onto) or 进 (into).

yuechu

Canada, English
    Oh, I knew that something was missing but I wasn't sure what it was. Thanks so much for your help, hx1997! 😃

azhong

Traditional Chinese
    "我要插U盘在电脑"
    Actually this one also works.

Maybe you just remember what hx1997 has told you for now, as a start.
    「把 O1 + V + O2」
    in this case V can be 插進, 插入, 插上, 插在, 插到, or 插到 (O2) 上. They are equally fine.

P.S. USB disk is called 隨身碟 in Taiwan.

azhong

Traditional Chinese
    Azhong said: "我要插U盘在电脑" Actually this one also works.
    😮 Really, azhong? I'm surprised. To me, that doesn't work.
    Let's not have further complex discussions to confuse yuechu, so I'll agree with you and say this Chinese sentence is not no natural in contemporary Chinese.

yuechu

Canada, English
    For example, I might ask, '請問 USB 槽在哪?' (Where is the USB port for the computer?)
    Is a USB槽 a USB hard drive or a USB port? (Just asking because the dictionary says that 槽 is the Taiwanese Mandarin word for hard drive)

Thanks, Simon!

SimonTsai

Taiwanese Mandarin
    槽 is a space reserved for something, e.g., 水槽, 攪拌槽 and 洗衣槽. In a computer context, it can refer to a hard drive because a hard drive is a space for files. However, it can also refer to a port: A USB port is a space for USBs. We know which one it is from the context. An unambiguous translation is USB 孔.

1660429462001.png

Alternatively, 插槽 also works: USB 插槽接觸不良自救步驟.

Last edited: