to poach Clifford’s rabbits among other occupations

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(para. 83, chapter 11) by Lawrence(the University of Adelaide,here):
Even since Connie’s arrival at Wragby this new place(Stacks Gate, which there were some great factories. I think) had arisen on the face of the earth, and the model dwellings had filled with riff-raff drifting in from anywhere, to poach Clifford’s rabbits among other occupations.

The last sentence is a little difficult for me. What's the meaning of "among other occupations" please? Does it modify "rabbits" or "riff-raff"?
And what does drifting in mean? Does it means slipping in without being found by others?
Thank you in advance

Last edited:
  • longxianchen

chinese
    Thank you. Do you mean the riff-raff secretly slipped into the dwellings to poach(=steal) Clifford's rabbits (or find) other jobs?

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    It doesn't say. The quotation just says there are new model dwellings and they are now being occupied by riff-raff. Presumably they didn't move into the new dwellings in order to poach rabbits, but because they are riff-raff (and not taught proper behaviour etc) they think nothing of poaching rabbits from the estate.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    The workers at the factories (the riff-raff) moved into the model dwellings to live. They also were able to poach Clifford's rabbits (the rabbits were not in any building, they were outside). Some of the riff-raff poached the rabbits, while others did other things - had other occupations.

poach
    to enter into (someone else's land) in order to hunt animals illegally:
    [no object]The men poaching in the game preserve were armed with machine guns.
    [~ + object]poaching the Masai Mara in search of elephants.
    to hunt for (game or fish) illegally: [no object]The men who were poaching had enough money to bribe the game wardens.

bennymix

Interesting point, Julian. I read it as some riff raff has two or more occupations including poaching. You say some riff-raff are poachers and some do other occupations, not poaching. Hmmm.

The workers at the factories (the riff-raff) moved into the model dwellings to live. They also were able to poach Clifford's rabbits (the rabbits were not in any building, they were outside). Some of the riff-raff poached the rabbits, while others did other things - had other occupations.

longxianchen

chinese
    Now I have a new idea:
    The riff-raff crowded into the dwellings at random to work in the factories owned by Clifford, but if they got other jobs(not offered by Clifford), they would steal Clifford's rabbits.

Is that possible?

bennymix

That's a little perverse. :)

It's a factory or mining town. Some there are hard workers. Others are drawn there (probably from rural areas) and get by with various "occupations" (methods), legal and illegal, including stealing C's rabbits.

Now I have a new idea:
    The riff-raff crowded into the dwellings at random to work in the factories owned by Clifford, but if they got other jobs(not offered by Clifford), they would steal Clifford's rabbits.

Is that possible?

Last edited:

longxianchen

chinese
    OK. Now I understand it this way:
    The riff-raff lived in the dwellings, so they must have been workers. But they also stool Clifford's rabbits when they were doing other occupations in their spare time.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I didn't think of poaching as an occupation. I thought it was something people did on the side to supplement their supper, and therefore I thought the reference to poaching as a kind of occupation was ironic. Their 'proper' occupation would perhaps be as farm hands or factory workers or similar.

bennymix

One shouldn't miss the class issue, here. Some people don't have enough to eat, esp. meat, and so they catch rabbits from
    the rich guy's forest. That's a crime of course. The rich guy, the Lord, doesn't want trespassers and can have them
    prosecuted or shot, etc. The poacher is seen as ne'er-do-well and petty criminal. Perhaps in need of a good flogging. :)

< Previous | Next >