to "preoccupy"

< Previous | Next >
  • owlman5

English-US
    That statement sure doesn't make any sense to me, Mateusz. Are you trying to say that the antitoxin is effective against most poisonous substances except the venom of this snake?

MateuszMoś

Yes, I crave to say so. Is there eventuality to say that the antitoxin preoccupies( has such an ability) the poisonous substances.
    In other words, Does "to preoccupy" work as to "absorb" in this context?

pops91710

English, AE
    I don't think it can preoccupy unless it is there before the poisonous substance is introduced to the bloodstream. Inasmuch as preoccupy implies occupation before, and antitoxins are usually introduced after a snake bite( whatever). But I am no doctor.

However, it seems to me your question is best put forth in the medical forums to see if it fits into the typical medical jargon. In other words, is it apposite in medical jargon?

owlman5

English-US
    "Preoccupy" won't work to mean "absorb", Mateusz. Somebody might use it to mean that the antidote blocked chemical receptors or something similar, but that would be a technical use of the term that many wouldn't understand.

MateuszMoś

I don't think it can preoccupy unless it is there before the poisonous substance is introduced to the bloodstream. Inasmuch as preoccupy implies occupation before, and antitoxins are usually introduced after a snake bite( whatever). But I am no doctor.

However, it seems to me your question is best put forth in the medical forums to see if it fits into the typical medical jargon. In other words, is it apposite in medical jargon?

Isn't appropriate "antipodes" of apposite ?
    Thanks for the answers.

Last edited:

EStjarn

Spanish
    Does "to preoccupy" work as to "absorb" in this context?
    According to Collins Thesaurus of the English Language, the closest synonym of 'preoccupy' is 'absorb' (see bottom of webpage). I suspect that that is from where your question originates. However, the verb 'absorb' has multiple meanings and not all of them can be approximated as 'preoccupy'. In fact, I can only spot one such meaning out of the nine given by AHD: "To occupy the full attention, interest, or time of; engross."

The definition of 'absorb' that seems closest to the one you're using is "To retain wholly, without reflection or transmission." In that case, I think neutralize might work as a synonym: "(Medicine) To counteract the effect of (a drug or toxin)."

suzi br

English / England
    According to Collins Thesaurus of the English Language, the closest synonym of 'preoccupy' is 'absorb' (see bottom of webpage). I suspect that that is from where your question originates. However, the verb 'absorb' has multiple meanings and not all of them can be approximated as 'preoccupy'. In fact, I can only spot one such meaning out of the nine given by AHD: "To occupy the full attention, interest, or time of; engross."
    Yes, that is correct.
    Absorb can be used in a way that means holding your attention, which is linked to the idea of being preoccupied.

This highlights the need to go back to the dictionary when you have found a word you think is synonymous to check it out carefully.

< Previous | Next >