To prepare

< Previous | Next >

volver

french belgium
Hello,

I said to my friend I couldn't write him earlier as I was preparing my holiday to Italy!

Can I use the verb to prepare in this context?

What would you say?

Thank you.

VOLVER

• JamesM

Hello,

I said to my friend I couldn't write him earlier as I was preparing my holiday to Italy!

Can I use the verb to prepare in this context?

What would you say?

Thank you.

VOLVER
    What do you mean by "prepare" here? It seems like an unusual use to me. Do you mean that you were:

1. setting up the travel arrangements?
    2. packing your suitcases?
    3. getting things in order at work?
    What are the preparations you are referring to?

George French

English - UK
    JamesM "What do you mean by "prepare" here? It seems like an unusual use to me. Do you mean that you were:"

This is so a standard way of speaking......... It may not be clear/known what the preparation are, but that is irrelevant.

GF..

JamesM

JamesM "What do you mean by "prepare" here? It seems like an unusual use to me. Do you mean that you were:"

This is so a standard way of speaking......... It may not be clear/known what the preparation are, but that is irrelevant.

GF..
    Really? In UK English you say "I am preparing my holiday"? In American English I can imagine "I am preparing my holiday feast" or "I am preparing for my holiday in Italy" but I stick by my statement that "I am preparing my holiday" (with "holiday" as a noun) is unusual in AE, in my experience.

I asked what the preparations were because I would use different verbs for different aspects:

"I was planning my holiday in Italy." = I was making travel arrangements, booking dates
    "I was getting ready for my holiday in Italy. = (vague) I am making some kind of preparation for my holiday
    "I was packing for my holiday in Italy." = I was packing my suitcases

(Of course, in AE we would tend to use "vacation" rather than "holiday".)

Last edited:

e2efour

UK English
    The BNC does not contain anything for "prepare a holiday", although there are three examples for "arrange a holiday". You might "prepare a holiday for someone", although I find this somewhat contrived.

AliBadass

persian
    In the animation ''Mr. Peabody & Sherman'', Mr. Peabody (a dog) is talking about his life:
    "When I adopted Sherman, I vowed to be the best father I could be. To prepare him for all the wonders of the world, present and past. And so, Sherman inspired the greatest invention of my life...a time machine."

What does ''to prepare'' mean here? Is it ''in order to''?
    Or is it because of ''I vowed to be ..../ and I vowed to prepare him ...

e2efour

UK English
    It seems more natural to me to take it as following I vowed.
    But you could also see it as following to be the best father I could (i.e. in order to).

I don't think it really matters. :)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >