to process (verb)

kasia.km

English (Canada)
How do you say "to process"?

Context: It will take the government a couple of weeks to process the documents.

Dzieki!

• .Jordi.

polonès
    Not true. Zajęcie się [...] zajmie simply doesn't sound good.
    Majlo's proposition seems to be the best so far, but if you insist on using zajęcie się, then you may say for example:

Zajęcie się dokumentami przez rząd potrwa kilka tygodni.

Last edited:

kasia.km

English (Canada)
    I can't really get any more specific than that with the context in the english sentence. it just means that "it will take the government a couple of weeks to do whatever it is they need to do with the documents".

your suggestions are very helpful, thanks!

Greg from Poland

Polish
    There is no mention of following a procedure in there, so I don't have the foggiest idea where you took procedura from.

Rozpatrzenie doesn't sound good either, for it isn't clear whether the government is to examine the documents or do something else with them.

I'd stay with my suggestion (no idea what's wrong with it, Jordi).

fragile1

To defence my idea the first 'process' is a 'procedura'
    http://www.wordreference.com/enpl/process
    http://www.dict.pl/dict?word=process&words=&lang=EN
    , and specially if there is some legal, official process I would suggest my version.
    'Zajęcie się ' is more used as 'Zajęcie się dziećmi', 'Zajęcie się swoimi sprawami', but government, court, police, any other formal organizations, offices, agency to me 'rozpatrują', or maybe some loyers could even say: 'procedują'.
    I didn't say any of you made a mistake. It depends of what we are talking about. I would say: "Procedura, dotycząca rozpatrzenia dokumentów, zajmie rządowi kilka tygodni."
    and if you find there any logical or semantically error, please let me know.

kasia.km

English (Canada)
    For example, an similarly applicable context would be: "it will take a few weeks for the government to process the papers, before they can grant you a visa."

arturolczykowski

Polish
    5 maja Rada Ministrów zajmie się projektem ustawy w sprawie dopłat na spłatę kredytu hipotecznego. Wypłata pierwszych dopłat do kredytów powinna ruszyć przed wakacjami - powiedział w sobotę minister w kancelarii premiera Michał Boni.

Just google "rząd zajmie się" and you'll get about 40000 hits....mainly from Polish newspapers and news....

arturolczykowski

Polish
    Rozpatrzenie dokumentów przez rząd potrwa (or zajmie) kilka tygodni. = Rząd rozpatrzy dokumenty w ciągu kilku tygodni
    Zajęcie się dokumentami przez rząd potrwa kilka tygodni = Rząd zajmie się dokumentami w ciągu najbliższych kilku tygodni

Przecież to tylko strona bierna i czynna. Jesli pasuje ci uzycie strony biernej w przypadku "rozpatrzenia", dlaczego nie pasuje ci w przypadku "zajęcia się"?

I'm not sure if Zajęcie się dokumentami przez rząd potrwa kilka tygodni. is passive voice, but zajęcie się simply sounds odd to me in this sentence.
    As a side note, bearing in mind that the user who asked the question is not a Polish native speaker, I think we'd better speak English here. :)