to push down the road

< Previous | Next >

ekbatana

German Austria
Hi guys! Trying to google the meaning of "push down the road", I got even more confused and couldn't figure out the figurative meaning of this phrasal idiom. I hope that the below clippings are reflective of its meaning as it appears to have multiple meanings. Thanks a lot in advance for your replies.

But I think that a lot of progress can be made. We should push down the road. I never describe myself as optimistic or pessimistic about anything, but I think there is good progress that can be made.

I may have given him a push down the road of woo when in the early 70s I gave him a book called "The Secret Life of Plants".

Given that they're using many of the same arguments in the obesity debate that they've used in the tobacco and alcohol debates, it's frightening to think what types of policies they might push down the road.

• Loob

English UK
    Hello, ekbatana

In your first and second examples, I'd say you can derive the figurative meaning of "push down the road" fairly straightforwardly from the literal meaning:
    But I think that a lot of progress can be made. We should push down the road. I never describe myself as optimistic or pessimistic about anything, but I think there is good progress that can be made.
    Here, "push" is an intransitive verb: you could say "push on" instead. The idea is something like "proceed with determination".
    I may have given him a push down the road of woo when in the early 70s I gave him a book called "The Secret Life of Plants".
    Here, "push" is a noun. Imagine giving somebody in a car a push along a road...
    Given that they're using many of the same arguments in the obesity debate that they've used in the tobacco and alcohol debates, it's frightening to think what types of policies they might push down the road.
    Here, "push" and "down the road" do not go together. The idea is that "down the road" - later on - people might be pushing unwelcome policies. "Push" here has meaning 4 in the WR English dictionary:
    • 4 informal promote the use, sale, or acceptance of.
    • ■ sell (a narcotic drug) illegally.

< Previous | Next >