to put out/eat off the floor

Discussion in 'English Only' started by SophieD, Jul 11, 2007.

1. SophieD Senior Member

FRANCE - FRENCH
    A man says to a woman :
    Don't chew with your mouth open, okay ? A guy takes you to dinner, you don't want to put out. (does it mean to incidentally let food fall from your mouth ?)
    Don't eat off the floor. (does it mean : don't eat food that has fallen on the floor ?)

2. JeffJo Senior Member

USA
    USA, English
    No! Warning! "Put out" means "have sex" (when the phrase is used in that way.)

3. Sextus Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Spanish
    Wow, I didn't know that meaning of the phrasal verb. I'll keep it in mind.

4. The Scrivener Banned

On the "naughty step".
    England. English
    I have never heard this in BrEng.

"Don't eat off the floor" could mean don't eat food that has fallen on the floor."

I am astonished that anyone dining out would need to be told these things. Good table manners are/should be taught during childhood.

5. konungursvia Banned

Toronto
    Canada (English)
    These phrases are unrelated but have similar contexts: norms in dating. They don't however form a single passage with good sense.

6. Sextus Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Spanish
    I've looked it up and it litterally means "to agree to have sex with someone", but I've only found it in my AE dictionary, not in the BE one.

7. SophieD Senior Member

FRANCE - FRENCH
    This is American English. This comes from a sitcom. So, you're sure that "put out" means to have sex in this context ? That it has nothing to do with the food ? (I have to translate this sitcom and I wouldn't want people to think I'm dirty-minded !)

8. SophieD Senior Member

FRANCE - FRENCH
    Sorry, I made a mistake. I don't know whether it changes anything but the real sentence is "A guy takes you to dinner, you don't have to put out".

9. Sextus Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Spanish
    Yes, it does make perfect sense: "you don't have to agree to have sex with me".

10. tepatria Senior Member

Onondaga, Ontario
    Canadian English
    There is a sidely held assumption (by men) that when a man takes a woman out and pays for a meal, she will reward him with sex. This man was saying he did not expect sex, but he did expect good table manners.

11. Sextus Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Spanish
    Well, at least you have to reward him with a kiss. I don't know why, but I've never heard such a thing around here, but I did meet a couple of women from the US who told me that it is something you're expected to do. Perhaps it was just a coincidence.

12. idialegre Senior Member

Hamburg, Germany
    USA English
    To describe a house or a restaurant which is spotlessly clean, people sometimes say "You could eat off the floor." (They don't usually do it, though.)