to recommend/to advise

yakor

Russian
Hi! My question consists of two parts about these verbs.
1)What is the difference in a sense between
-She advised him to go to the museum.
-She recommended he go to the museum
in English speech?
2)I know that it is impossible to say in English
-I recommend everyone this book. (Correct. I recommend this book to everyone)
-I advise to read this book to you. (Correct: I advise you to read this book).
So, I wonder if "to everyone" and "you" are indirect objects for these verbs?
I think every indirect object could be written both ways, with and without preposition. Also, I think that the indirect object is the person or thing, it means them, it is used to denote who takes the action of doer. . So, to say that "to everyone" is an indirect object has no sense. "to everyone" is a complement for the verb, but "everyone" still remains the indirect object.

• Packard

USA, English
    Can you please state in one sentence what your question is. It seems to have gotten lost in there.

sdgraham

USA English
    So, to say that "to everyone" is an indirect object has no sense. "to everyone" is a complement for the verb, but "everyone" still remains the indirect object.

Not in AE and in a substantial part of the world, where "everyone" is the object of the preposition "to."

Rather than thrash this around here and add to the clutter, I suggest you review the recently discussed issue at: http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2441144 (Where you were participating :warn:)

(especially the last two pages).

yakor

Russian
    Can you please state in one sentence what your question is. It seems to have gotten lost in there.
    There are two questions for these two verbs.
    Not in AE and in a substantial part of the world, where "everyone" is the object of the preposition "to."
    Sorry, I can't get what you wrote here.
    I didn't say that "everyone" is an object of the preposition. I dislike the term "object" in grammar at all, espessially for a preposition. Also, it is too long thread to read.

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    1. I don't think going to the museum is a situation that brings out the slight difference in meaning between these two verbs.

"Advise" sounds more serious: "The doctor advised me to stop smoking because I had a serious lung condition.
    "Suggest" can be a little more tentative: "The doctor suggested I take up jogging to lose a few extra pounds, but he told me I'm in very good condition for my age."

2. I think you are trying to simplify a question of terminology that is disputed by grammarians and confuses native speakers. The important thing is to understand patterns of usage, I think.

< Previous | Next >