To reconcile

volver

french belgium
Hello,

If for instance, a teacher has to deal with difficult trainees who don't like the English Language.
The teacher first has to be reconcile them with the language . How would you say that using reconcile?
Reconcile trainees with the English language? Is it well worded?

Thank you

VOLVER

• suzi br

English / England
    Hi
    That doesn't sound quite right.
    Despite the way the definition is worded in our dictionary
    I am not really sure that one person can reconcile another person to something. I think it's mostly used reflexively. e.g I reconciled myself to studying Latin in order to remain in the top stream at my school

If you have something real to write - tell us your actual context and we can suggest options. I think the job of getting unwilling students to enjoy learning a foreign language is going to need more than one word to explain it!

iwuzic

english
    2 Corinthians 5:19; NKJV "...that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation." I'm still wondering who's warming up to who in the first clause.

suzi br

English / England
    Hi, like you I am not sure how to read this.

You probably need to ask in a forum with experts on decoding the Bible. Obviously the original text was not written in English and it has been translated to give a meaning that matches the original, and even that is probably subject to debate by experts.
    Biblical English and modern English are often rather different. The Bible you are using (NKJV) is a relatively modern version - but it still sounds very old-style to me.

kentix

English - U.S.
    As a non-expert, this is what I read.

that is, that God was in Christ
    God's nature was in Christ

reconciling the world to himself
    God was using that position to bring mankind closer to him

not imputing their trespasses to them
    He was not blaming them for their sins

and has committed to us the word of reconciliation.
    And is committed to offering reconciliation/salvation to us [mankind]

< Previous | Next >