to reduce or subdue arrogance and embarrassment

< Previous | Next >

learningenglishnow

French
I would like to make up two examples.

(1) The ten-time boxing champion bragged about his achievements and defamed all his challengers. A strong opponent challenged him and reduced (or subdued) his arrogance by knocking him out in less than five minutes.

(2) Bill felt embarrassed about using foul language with his friends when he realized that his father was standing in front of him. They immediately brought him out of his father's sight to reduce (or to subdue) his embarrassment.

Can someone please give me feedback? Thank you very much.

• Gavril

English, USA
    I would like to make up two examples.

(1) The ten-time boxing champion bragged about his achievements and defamed all his challengers. A strong opponent challenged him and reduced (or subdued) his arrogance by knocking him out in less than five minutes.
    reduced sounds unusually mild for this context. I am not sure about subdued either. Maybe you could say silenced his arrogance instead.

(2) Bill felt embarrassed about using foul language with his friends when he realized that his father was standing in front of him. They immediately brought him out of his father's sight to reduce (or to subdue) his embarrassment.
    In this case reduce is the better verb.

< Previous | Next >