To <resign oneself> <yield> <submit> to something

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
Hello every one

I am looking for the most precise term / idiom / expression / word encompassing the acceptance of something unwillingly because the person finds they are unable to resist the situation prior to any attempt or rather before any start / end.

For more clarification, I made two examples. Let's have a look on them and determine the correct option for each scenario:

1- In spite of all the emotions she had towards William, her family forced her to marry that man. While she knew that her family can easily hurt her loved one and also, she couldn't resist them said nothing and .................... that marriage.

a. resigned herself to
b. submitted to
c. yielded to

2- When Barcelona scored it's eighth goal against Deportivo, it was visible that before ending the match, the Deportivo's players and coach had ............... the defeat.

a. resigned themselves to
b. submitted to
c. yielded to

I know that "to resign yourself to something" is: "you accept something over which you have no control." Also, I have an intuition that you resign yourself to something before it happens; if so, then it would be exactly what I need. However, I am not quiet sure if I'm right or wrong. Also, I have no idea if the other two choices can work (even better) in this sense.

Based on dictionaries, these three seemed to be too close to the meaning in my question, but I don't know what would a native use in my examples in more natural and idiomatic way.

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    A and B are possible in your first example and all are possible in your second example.
    Submitting and yielding do not mean that you accept - you may still be kicking and screaming. Resigning yourself means that not only do you concede defeat but you mentally reconcile yourself to it.
    Yield works with defeat but not with that marriage.

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    A and B are possible in your first example and all are possible in your second example.
    Submitting and yielding do not mean that you accept - you may still be kicking and screaming. Resigning yourself means that not only do you concede defeat but you mentally reconcile yourself to it.
    Yield works with defeat but not with that marriage.
    Thank you Glasguensis
    But I wonder what would be your own option here? Also, please kindly let me know if there is any better choice there within my provided senses. (I'm looking for the most natural term.)
    Thank you.

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    I would probably say “resigned oneself to” in both these examples but as I said the meanings are not identical so it does depend on what exactly you want to convey

< Previous | Next >