to rig, to fix

brutusel

swedish
How do you say in German 'to rig football matches' or 'to fix football matches'.

Example:

The referee was bribed to fix the football match.

The football match was rigged.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Kurtchen

German - Norddeutschland
    to fix/rig a match - ein Spiel verschieben

Note, verschieben can also mean 'to adjourn', so you better make sure in what context it's used :)

Kurtchen

German - Norddeutschland
    I definitely agree with manipulieren. 'Türken' I took to mean cheating by gaining an unfair advantage, thereby increasing your chances of winning, in craps using crooked dice for example. But, hey, that's slang for you.

Anyway, signing off for now, the meds are kicking in :D and still a lot of (hopefully) fun stuff ahead of me tonight.

Piotr_WRF

Polish, German
    You can use arrangieren, which is of a higher register. Another more common expression for to be fixed would be gestellt sein.

An example:
    Der Kampf war arrangiert.
    Der Kampf war gestellt.

Sidjanga

German;southern tendencies
    Hi,
    Der Kampf war gestellt.
    I don't feel this could be a valid translation or is in any way equivalent to the other suggestions.

All it means is just that the fight was not real, that it was a fake fight, that the opponents weren't really fighting but just simulating it, as stunt men, or something similar. So the only betrayed ones here might be the audience (in case they aren't aware of the fight being a fake one).

brutusel

swedish
    All right. Many thanks to the answer.

But how do u say in german (the whole sentence):

The referee got money to arrange/fix the result.

Sidjanga

German;southern tendencies
    All right. Many thanks for the answer.

But how do you say in German (the whole sentence):

The referee got money to arrange/fix the result.
    For example: Der Schiedsrichter wurde für die Manipulation des Ergebnisses bezahlt.
    Oder: Der Schiedsrichter wurde bestochen. (bribed)

< Previous | Next >