to rip something out / to leave out something

< Previous | Next >

PaceFalmPG

German
Hello,
some words are marked with a ⇔ on leo.org, I am pretty sure that has something to do with the possibility to change the order of the words in some cases.
For example leo.org says:
"to rip sth. ⇔ out"
While for example "to rip so. off" does not have that symbol.
When exactly do the "sth." and "out" swap their positions?
What about the following examples?
1. "Rip out page 123!" I think: :tick:
2. "Rip page 123 out!" I think: :tick:, but the sentence above sounds better.

3. "Rip out page 123 of your book!" I think :tick:, just like the fifth sentence, but it's a slightly different emphasis, (right?).
4. "Rip page 123 of your book out!" I think :cross:. Sounds somewhat unfamiliar to me.
5. "Rip page 123 out of your book!" I think :tick:

What about subordinate clauses:
"Rip out the page with the big cartoon where the politician burns a bag of money!" That sounds best to me. Is it correct? Can the "out" be at another position?

Looking forward to being enlightened by you. :)

Best regards,
pacefalmpg

• JuanEscritor

English - AmE
    I think when giving short commands it is best not to split a phrasal verb, so #2 doesn't look natural to me; you are right that the alternative sounds better.

I can't imagine a situation where I would use #3. The difficulty with this one is that the out has a double function: it pairs with rip and with of, and there is no good way to construct the sentence that doesn't separate it from one of its partners. That said, I prefer #5, where out of is left together. I don't think #3 and #4 are wrong, but I definitely think #4 is the worst of all five sentences (as you indicate).

As for your last sentence, I can see placing the out at the end as an acceptable possibility; though I like the way you have it.

JE

Edit: To rip off has two different meanings; so it might be helpful if you tell us which meaning you would like to examine.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >