to run away

cfu507

Hebrew
Hi,
Does "to run a way" refer only to running? Can I run away by an airplane, helicopter (and so on)?
Thank u

• Lora44

England, English
    You can be on the run in a car, aeroplane, helicopter etc etc, but no, I don't think running away can refer to anything other than running.

To rephrase, it's certainly true that to run away can imply using many means of transport, but you cannot say 'I ran away by bus' or anything like that, to my knowledge.

anothersmith

English, U.S.
    If by "run away" you mean "run away from home," then it can be done by means of any form of transportation. Children who run away from home often walk to a bus stop and take a bus to another city. (Sadly, we have a lot of teenage runaways living on the streets in Hollywood; many came here by bus).

liliput

U.K. English
    I disagree with posts #2 and #3. The meaning of "run away" is not always so literal. Running away from your problems, for example, does not always involve physical running, it may involve other forms of transport, or even no physical movement at all. Here's the OED's definition:
    run away 1 take flight; escape. 2 try to avoid facing up to danger or difficulty.

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)
    Hi,
    Does "to run a way" refer only to running? Can I run away by an airplane, helicopter (and so on)?
    Thank u

I suppose if you want to flee by any means possible, you can always say "I have to get away"

Or you can even say
    --The police is here, I've got to run.
    (driving your car very fast, away from the scene)