To Scrape Off Your Feet

< Previous | Next >

namlan

Banned
Vietnam
- Hey Mary! you can leave your motorbike here and don't forget to rub off your feet on this mop or that carpet before you come in.

- Instead of "to rub off your feet on ............", can I say "to scrape off your feet on ..............."?

Thanks a lot!

NamLan

• JamesM

To scrape or rub off your feet would mean that the action was so vigorous that you didn't have any feet when you were done. :)

"... don't forget to scrape your shoes off...." or "...don't forget to scrape the dirt off your shoes..." would sound better to me. If the person is barefooted, I suppose you could say, "...don't to wipe your feet off on this mop (or that carpet)..." I would make sure to break up the phrasal verb to make it sound more like an idiom than a literal direction.

Is it common where you are to have mops for scraping the dirt off your feet? Something like this?

http://www.belhygienic.com/images/mop5.jpg

Dimcl

Canadian English
    "Rub off" sounds odd. "scrape off" sounds better. In CaE, we would say "wipe off". Your sentence, naturally spoken in Canada, would be:

"Hey, Mary! You can leave your motorbike here. Don't forget to wipe your feet on the mat before you come in."

< Previous | Next >