To screw something into a wall, piece of wood etc...

< Previous | Next >

Melikhovo

American English
Privet!
I was wondering which variation of the verb "to screw" would be the best variation when talking about screwing something to the wall or into a piece of wood. Word reference suggests the following however, I'm having a little trouble telling the difference:

закручивать
завинчивать
прикручивать
привинчивать

zaranee spasibo.

• YMOPA

Russian
    Depends. If you are talking about the whole object driven into the piece of wood such as a screw or an anchor, that's "вви́нчивать/ввинти́ть" (ввинтить шуруп).

If you are talking about an object affixed to the piece of wood with a screw or an anchor that you just "ввинтил", that'd be "приви́нчивать/привинти́ть" (привинтить фигульку к деревяшке шурупом).

Alexander Perepechenov

Russian - Russian Federation
    Hi,
    If you mean screwing an object TO a wall, I would suggest using the general word "прикреплять/ прикрепить" and adding the fastener type: "прикрепить картину к стене шурупом/ винтом и т.д.".
    As for screwing something INTO a piece of wood, I agree with YMOPA; "ввинчивать/ ввинтить" seems the best option to me.

YMOPA

Russian
    Hi,
    If you mean screwing an object TO a wall, I would suggest using the general word "прикреплять/ прикрепить" and adding the fastener type: "прикрепить картину к стене шурупом/ винтом и т.д.".
    As for screwing something INTO a piece of wood, I agree with YMOPA; "ввинчивать/ ввинтить" seems the best option to me.
    "Прикрепить" is more general term than "привинтить". It does not matter which namely method is used to "прикрепить" as long as the "прикреплённый" object is affixed to the wall "накрепко". "Привинтить" is specific to usage of a screw or any other method that involves rotation. Occasionally we hear "привернуть" but it's gross misuse of the "верн" root.

igusarov

Russian
    "To" and "into" makes a big difference here. Please clarify whether you mean "to affix some object to the wall with a screw" or "to drive the screw into the wall / wood block".

If you're after "affix to a wall" meaning then I'd use prefix "при-" (привинтить, привернуть, прикрепить). Note that in everyday situations many people would not bother to describe the screw driving process and opt for a more simple phrase: "Повесить картину / полку / зеркало".

If you want to say "to screw a screw into a wall" then I'd use prefix "в-" (ввернуть, ввинтить, вкрутить). Antonyms would be вывернуть, вывинтить, выкрутить.

The words with the prefix "за-" (закрутить, завинтить, завернуть; reverse action: открутить, отвинтить, отвернуть) could be used too. But they put emphasis on the rotation, rather then on driving into / out of.

Occasionally we hear "привернуть" but it's gross misuse of the "верн" root.
    Why misuse? Official name for a power screw driver is "шуруповёрт" - a tool that вертит шурупы. Ushakov dictionary offers an explicit example "вывернуть винт" too.

Maroseika

Russian
    "Occasionally we hear "привернуть" but it's gross misuse of the "верн" root.
    In language we use words, not roots, and if a word exists, how can we complain and why should not we use it? Привернуть can be found in all Russian dictionaries without any special marks like "colloquial" or something like that. It is explained there as вертя, прикрепить.
    Or maybe you mean misuse like привернуть полку саморезами? In this case I agree, this is clumsy.
    By the way, -н- in верн is suffix.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >