to see if the culture is different to that of big cities

< Previous | Next >

ssarker

English
Hi!

I can't really get my head around the sentence structure in this phrase, so am finding it difficult to translate into English.

I want to say, 'I would like to visit less touristy areas in order to see if the culture is different to that of big cities'

The 'is different to that of' is really getting me. My best attempt is:

'Me gustaría visitar las regiones menos turísticas para ver si la cultura es diferente a la de las grandes ciudades'.

'A la de las' sounds a little odd to me. Is it correct?

Hi!

I can't really get my head around the sentence structure in this phrase, so am finding it difficult to translate into English.

I want to say, 'I would like to visit less touristy areas in order to see if the culture is different to that of big cities'

The 'is different to that of' is really getting me. My best attempt is:

'Me gustaría visitar las regiones menos turísticas para ver si la cultura es diferente a la de las grandes ciudades'.

'A la de las' sounds a little odd to me. Is it correct?
*to translate into Spanish, not English!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • TheCrociato91

Italian - Northern Italy
    Hi.

As far as I see it, this is correct. I for one would've used "distinta" but I don't think it makes any difference.

To my knowledge the adjective "diferente" may be followed by "a" and also "de" (... diferente de la de las grandes ciudades.), just like "different" in English may be followed by a couple prepositions (from, to, than).

Either way, let's wait for native speakers to confirm your translation.

Lnewqban

Spanish - Cuba
    I believe that you translation is correct.
    You could also say:
    Me gustaría visitar áreas que fueran/sean menos atractivas a los turistas, para ver si la cultura sería/es diferente a aquella de las grandes ciudades.

ssarker

English
    I believe that you translation is correct.
    You could also say:
    Me gustaría visitar áreas que fueran/sean menos atractivas a los turistas, para ver si la cultura sería/es diferente a aquella de las grandes ciudades.
    Thank you!

< Previous | Next >