to sexualize/the sexualization of girls and women

Tilmeedh

English (Canada)
Hi all--how could one render these terms into Arabic, as used in the following examples?

- 'The media sexualizes girls and women in excess.'

(---- وسائل الإعلام الفتيات والمرأة إلى حدّ مفرط.)

- 'The objectification and sexualization of girls in the media are linked to violence against women and girls worldwide.'[1]

(التسليع و---- للفتيات الموجودان في وسائل الإعلام لهما علاقة مع العنف ضدّ المرأة والفتيات على نطاق عالميّ.)

I thought of turning (جنس) 'sex' into a verb (جنّس) and then a noun (تجنيس), but according to Almaany, these terms already have other, very different meanings: 'to classify/to sort' ~ 'classification/sorting' and 'to confer citizenship/to naturalize' ~ 'conferring of citizenship/naturalization'.

I've come across the term (جنسنة), the title of a Wikipedia article, but am unsure about it. Where did the second (ن) come from? Has this coinage entered popular discourse? How could one turn it into a verb?

Thanks in advance.

[1]

Not An Object: On Sexualization and Exploitation of Women and Girls

• Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    The form فَعْلَنَة exists in some dialects (for example Palestinian Arabic) and it’s used to create verbal nouns out of regular nouns, then you can creat the verb from the verbal noun (مصدر). This, according to some modern linguists, may have come from an older form فعلن, which creates adjectives.

Examples of the usage in Palestinian Arabic is words like تيسنة وحيونة وحرمنة derived from تيس وحيوان وحرامي. I believe that Egyptian Arabic has at least one (جدعنة from جدع).

In the twentieth century, several words have been created using this coined form (مولّد), from the top of my head I can recall مكننة وعصرنة وعقلنة وعلمنة for mechanization, modernization, rationalization, and secularization respectively.

Hence, while جنسنة is new to me (I haven’t heard it before) the form doesn’t seem strange and the meaning makes sense - at least to me.

Tilmeedh

English (Canada)
    Intriguing. I'm reminded of nouns like (طيران) = 'flight', (فقدان) = 'loss', and (غثيان) = 'nausea'.

What do (تيسنة), (حيونة), and (حرمنة) mean exactly? I would surmise 'behaving like an idiot', 'behaving in a (heartless? impulse-driven?) way', and 'turning to a life of petty crime'. There's a WordReference thread about (جدع)[1] where participants discuss (جدعنة) and say it refers mainly to someone acting like a decent/real man.

Getting back to the examples in the OP: do the sentences sound idiomatic in Arabic if one simply fills in the first blank with (تجنسن) and the second with (الجنسنة), without making any other changes?

[1]

All dialects: جدع - جذع

Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    I'm reminded of nouns like (طيران) = 'flight', (فقدان) = 'loss', and (غثيان) = 'nausea'.
    They might seem similar, but this form of مصدر existed in Classical Arabic.

What do (تيسنة), (حيونة), and (حرمنة) mean exactly? I would surmise 'behaving like an idiot', 'behaving in a (heartless? impulse-driven?) way', and 'turning to a life of petty crime'.
    Not bad guesses.
    حيونة is behaving like an animal more or less, in PA it’s somewhere between being an idiot and being rude.

تيسنة in PA is being stubborn and/or stupid.

حرمنة is thievery as حرامي is a thief. It is in fact derived from حرام that can include a lot more but the use of حرامي is limited to thief in PA and many other dialects up to my knowledge, although I don’t know if any other dialect (apart from Levantine dialects) use حرمنة.

Getting back to the examples in the OP: do the sentences sound idiomatic in Arabic if one simply fills in the first blank with (تجنسن) and the second with (الجنسنة), without making any other changes?
    I would make some changes. For the first one the location of the verb (SOV) would be quite confusing in MSA, and I’m quite confident that it was not common at all in CA. I would stick to VSO, if needed SVO, and perhaps, depending on context, you might be able to play around a little as long as the verb is not in the end. I would also just say نساء, as فتيات is part of نساء. So my suggestion is:
    وسائل الإعلام تجنسن النساء إلى حدّ مفرط , you can also just say بإفراط.

For the second one, you can just add الجنسنة and the sentence and it would be correct. But I feel that it would be better and more natural to say:
    تسليع وجنسنة النساء في الإعلام مرتبطان بالعنف ضدهنّ على نطاق عالمي.