to show up in new spaces

Lizzy89

Italian - Italy
Good evening to you all!
I'm reading an article which reports an extract of a speech, made by a teacher to his students, saying: “(you have) an opportunity to define our values, an opportunity to show up in new spaces and make our voices be heard".
I'm wondering what this part of sentence means: "esplorare nuovi orizzonti"? "presentarsi in una nuova veste?"
Thank you :)

• theartichoke

English - Canada
    Given that the statement ends with "and make our voices be heard," my best guess would be that "to show up in new spaces" means "to speak to / bring our message to new audiences." But I think we need more context to be sure. What, in general, is the article about? And does the extract contain anything the teacher said before and/or after this statement?

theartichoke

English - Canada
    Unfortunately, the context makes it less clear, because graduates of a Global Health program could literally "show up in new spaces" in the sense of arriving in new places to improve health care. :) Let's assume, though, that the speaker would have said "places," not "spaces," if she meant that, so ohbice's presentarvi di fronte a nuovi scenari probably works as well as anything. I suspect what's meant is a combination of "go to new places [around the world]" and "implement our work [in health care] among new people," but it's all a bit vague--more inspirational than concrete, as such addresses tend to be.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    Mind you a teacher saying it's "...an opportunity to define our values..." strikes me as suspect.
    Suspect in what way? "An opportunity to define and articulate our values" struck me as being much of a piece with the buzz-wordiness of the rest of the statement: corporate-style exhortation that can't really be pinned down to any specific meaning.

< Previous | Next >