To single out whether

< Previous | Next >

belfagor71

Italy, Italian
Hi everyone!

I am writing a cover letter to apply for one course at an English University.
Is the use of "single out" in the following sentences appropriate?

"The people who worked on creating or improving a rural school, were not able to single out whether the project they were about to establish was something the people really needed nor to assess the feedback of their educational project."

What I want to mean is, the schools were not able to recognize whether the project match the real needs of the people.

Thank you!

Belfagor

• Giordano Bruno

English, England
    Not really. It makes sense, but I would prefer to use "determine" rather than "single out" which really means to identify from a group of options.

ace02nc

English - United States
    I agree with Giordano. 'Determine' is a much better word here. Take a look at some other minor corrections to improve your sentence:

"The people who worked on creating and improving a rural school [no comma] were not able to determine whether the project they were about to establish was something the people really needed, nor were they able to assess the feedback of their educational project."

Hope this helps!

Nymeria

English - Barbadian/British/educated in US universities blend
    I agree with ace's edit. Also, belfagor why did you use 'a' before rural school and not 'the'? Are you not speaking about a specific school?

< Previous | Next >