to solve human problems by copying how nature does <it>

Joontler

Korean - South Korea
Hello, I am being puzzled due to a sentence that doesn't seem appropriate...
I ran into it in a passage of an English textbook for Korean students and it's as following :

People who study biomimetics look to solve human problems by copying how nature does it.

In this sentence, what does 'it' refer to ...?
To me, this sentence just doesn't seem grammatical... maybe because I 'm not a native speaker of English...?

I really need your favor..

• Chasint

English - England
    I don't like the sentence. I find it ungrammatical and ungainly.

My suggestion
    People who study biomimetics look to solve human problems by copying Nature.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I find it ungrammatical and ungainly.
    I'm surprised.
    So you would find
    "He can juggle and ride a unicycle at the same time - I don't know how he does it."
    "She has a house in France and one in Chelsea - I don't know how she does it on her salary."
    ungrammatical and ungainly?

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    People who study biomimetics look to solve human problems by copying how nature does it.
    People who study biomimetics look to solve human problems by copying how nature solves similar problems.

Joontler

Korean - South Korea
    i.e. the action of solving human problems
    I think so, too!

I don't like the sentence. I find it ungrammatical and ungainly.

My suggestion
    People who study biomimetics look to solve human problems by copying Nature.
    I agree, 'it' should be replaced by another expression.

I don't mind the sentence, but Chasint has a good alternative.
    "It" refers to the way that nature solves any problems involving biometrics.
    Thanks a lot!
    ..I just think the problem of the textbook is its explanation of the range of 'it'.
    I have learned in Syntax that the pronoun it should cover the entire noun phrase, so 'it' is supposed to refer to 'human problems', which sounds a little bit awkward to me....

People who study biomimetics look to solve human problems by copying how nature solves similar problems.
    Thank you for your alternative! It helps a lot:)

< Previous | Next >