to speak posh

sam's mum

England English
Hi
How should I say this in French? The context is a young girl who goes to an ordinary school from a private school and is bullied because she speaks posh. Is there anything better than bien parler?
Thanks!

• Minoki

French
    Hi

"parce qu'elle parle un français soutenu" par exemple ?

le "parler bourgeois" exists but would sounds weird in your sentence I think.

Alipeeps

UK
    UK - English
    You could also say:

- Elle parle avec affectation
    - Elle parle comme une snob.
    But doesn't that have the connotation that she is doing so deliberately?

The context of the original is that the girl speaks with a more "posh" or "upper class" accent/pronunciation than the children at her new school (who probably speak e.g. with stronger regional accents etc). it's not something that is her fault or that she can change, it's just how she has learnt to speak at her previous school.

Can you translate the concept into French by referencing her accent perhaps?

Alipeeps

UK
    UK - English
    The only translations I can find in my dictionary seem to be pejorative... e.g. "parler comme les gens de la haute"... which I don't think is the sense of the original. :(

Minoki

French
    For me, the accent cannot be "soutenu".
    You can say "français soutenu" or "accent precieux" but not "accent soutenu"

sam's mum

England English
    Lots of helpful suggestions, thanks. I'm tempted by recherché because we use that in english (although I think it usually means prententious) but I think for my context I'll use son beau parler. Thanks again!

Raoul_14740

Banned
    Normandie - Français
    Si j'ai bien compris le sens de "posh", en France, on dirait (enfin, moi je dirais) :
    elle parle comme une bourge du 16 ième (avec l'accent et éventuellement le vocabulaire et le phrasé
    des habitants du 16ième arrondissement de Paris).
    How should I say this in French?
    Pour quelle utilisation ? writen, spoken language ?
    Je pense que "beau parler" is posh french.

< Previous | Next >