To spin something around?

< Previous | Next >

lonelygull

Italian
Hi everybody,

could anyone explain the meaning of "to spin something around"?
the context is from a lyric:
"if you spin your love around
the secrets of your dreams
you may find your love is gone
and it's not quite what it seemed"

could it stand for "give/spread around" or just "tell about"?
has "around" a neutral or negative connotation?

Thank you a lot.

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hi Lonelygull, and welcome to the forum. I hope you don't mind but I'm going to launch into my spiel about not trying too hard to understand the meanings behind song lyrics. Songwriters can write the worst gobbledegook because they let their imaginations fly and because the wording of songs is often done to fit the tempo and meter of the song. Pop songwriters are not known for their classic use of the English language and I'm afraid that it can be a frustrating endeavour on your part.

As for your question, I'm afraid that I have no idea what the line means. We could spend a lot of time guessing but I'm going to give it up as a bad job.

ewie

English English
    Hello Lonelygull ~ Welcome to WRF:)
    I'd say this could possibly mean: "If you study your love very closely, i.e. look (metaphorically speaking) at the back of it as well as the front of it, you'll find that it's etc."
    But as Dimcl says, you'd probably need to consult the songwriter direct to be absolutely sure ... and even he/she might not know:D

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    I had a vague impression that it might be saying you shouldn't look at something as miraculous as love too closely, lest it disappear under so close a scrutiny.

It reminds me of a Billy Bragg lyric:

The temptation
    To take the precious things we have apart
    To see how they work
    Must be resisted for they never fit together again

As Ewie said, however, you would need to ask the songwriter to be sure of the meaning.

lonelygull

Italian
    I just wondered if there could be a clear sense for a native speaker..
    I guess I'll never know what the songwriter meant to say, but your suggestions surely helped in closing in on it.
    Thank you all for your kind replies and for your welcoming messages :)

Istarion

British English
    I'm guessing it's referring to spinning as in of a yarn/thread. If you build/base your love upon/around dreams...

So in fact, if I'm right, it's not "to spin something around" but "to spin something around sth."

Bit of a sort of... contrived idiom. I can imagine it not making very much sense at all to a non-native speaker :(.
    I.

Istarion

British English
    You must see what I'm getting at - spinning fibres into a thread (or even spinning a web, which only just occured to me). It makes a reasonable amount of sense as a metaphor for building a relationship between two people. Or at least, I think it does. :D

ewie

English English
    Yes, I see what you mean, Istarion ~ it's just the concept of spinning your love around the secrets of your dreams I'm having trouble with, whereas the way I'm reading it ~ spinning your love around [so you can see both sides of it, and doing the same thing with] the secrets of your dreams ... well, you get the picture.

Istarion

British English
    Heh. I have to admit I find your interpretation much harder to grasp than mine - but then I suppose that's the essence of an interpretation :D.

I.

johnp

I would say that "to spin your love around" might refer to centering your love around, concentrating your love around, cause your love to keep encircling the secrets of your dreams, dreams being ephemeral, your love may never be found, but lost forever, because it needs to be based on what is concrete, real, like a person, not an elusive person of your secret dreams. Just a thought.

< Previous | Next >