to stitch someone up

Pumpkin00

UK
Italian
How would you translate this sentence in italian ?

A-why you are thinking of leaving?
B-I am not thinking of leaving, I am leaving.
A-Sure. I don’t mean to stitch anyone up, but it’s nothing I have said or done, is it?
B-Oh, no, no.

I read the other tread, but i am not sure it applies here, that's why I'm asking for the help of natives: what is meant in this context by "stitch up?"

A has just asked B to have a word with him to know why he wants to leave and if it is for personal reasons or because of something he (A) has done. "A" is "B"'s boss, this might be important to put in context the sentence.

I thought it could mean "to embarass you" in this case (as A is B's boss afterall, so it's weird to ask for a direct judgement/opinion on himself from one of his employees).

Thanks.

• TorinoAndrew

English (British)
    To stitch someone up usually means to arrange things so that another person has problems, e.g. to trap them or in this case perhaps cause them to be sacked.

From what you say here, it might mean (though I am not completely sure, as the dialogue sounds a little strange): A is in effect saying "I don't want anyone to be put in a situation that would be difficult for them". The following "it's nothing I have said ..." would be a way of prompting B to explain the reasons for leaving.

It sounds strange, as I said, because if A was sincere in asking "am I to blame?", then there would be no issue about "stitching up" someone else; so reading between the lines A is really saying "is someone else to blame? tell me who!".

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

AlabamaBoy

American English
    I haven't heard this exact phrase but I think the following are similar:

Stitch someone up
    Tie someone down
    Nail someone down

The meaning would be to require someone to explain the reason for something. If someone does not volunteer the reason, it is considered impolite to pry.

EDIT: On second thought, this may be a BE expression, so that "get anyone in trouble"might be a better meaning as TorinoAndrew suggested.

Jim Dandy

English - UK
    Stitch up vuol dire mettere nei guai o incastrare. A vuole sapere perché B va via - è causa qualcosa che ha fatto A o che ha fatto qualcun'altro? Quindi non vuol mettere nei guai nessuno (stitch anyone up) - non vuole che B accusi qualcun'altro - però deve sapere: ero io? senno era qualcun'altro?

JD

Pumpkin00

UK
    Italian
    To stitch someone up usually means to arrange things so that another person has problems, e.g. to trap them or in this case perhaps cause them to be sacked.
    (...)
    It sounds strange, as I said, because if A was sincere in asking "am I to blame?", then there would be no issue about "stitching up" someone else

Hope that helps!

In fact, that is the whole point of the dialogue, as it is supposed tobe humourous. the boss is a rather slick character who often makes a fool of himself though. it's that subtle very very dry english humour, so it actually makes sense, i mean it is strange but doen on purpose.

thanks torinoandrew!

< Previous | Next >