to stoat (Scots English)

Elika

French French
Hello! I am translating a text about the rainy weather in Scottland, and the author is enjoying using specific Scottish words to describe it. I am stucked with "stoat", what does it mean?
"A good thick waterproof is a must on days that it is absolutely stoating outside." My guess would be "rainy and cold".

• JiPiJou

French
    stoat, stot = bounce (heavy rain is said to stoat off the ground)

Found in : "an informal guide to the Scots tongue for the benefit of occasional visitors to Scotland or readers of Scottish literature." :
    Scots Tongue

It may help you for the rest of the text !

Last edited:

Garoubet

French - France, Quebec
    Je ne sais pas s'il y a une traduction littérale en français, mais on pourrait traduire [...] quand il tombe des trombes.

Last edited by a moderator:

JiPiJou

French
    il tombe des trombes.
    Yes, or "Il tombe des cordes".

But to imitate the quaintness of the use of Scottish words, one could also say : "Il pleut des hallebardes" (= halberds)... Highlands, Scottish laird and all that :D

My great-grandmother used to say : "Ça tombe comme à Gravelotte" (a village of Moselle -- in the province of Lorraine -- where a battle between France and Prussia took place in 1870 (30 000 men from both camps were killed in two days).

More familiar but quite common (and very suggestive) : "Il pleut comme vache qui pisse".

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >