"to surf the internet" // and about "surfing" websites

MarekD

Russian - Russia
So there is that expression "surf the internet", but what would you say if you are talking about particular websites? "I'm surfing (the??) facebook", for instance?
Or it would be something like "I'm scrolling (the?) facebook"?

• heypresto

English - England
    I don't think 'surfing' is used when talking about particular web sites. If I used Facebook (which I don't) I think I would say 'I'm looking at Facebook' or 'I'm on Facebook'. It wouldn't surprise to hear a new verb has been coined (Facebooking?) which I'm not familiar with. ;) 'Scrolling' certainly sounds wrong.

(Note Facebook is capitalised.)

pob14

American English
    It wouldn't surprise to hear a new verb has been coined (Facebooking?) which I'm not familiar with. ;)
    I don't think it's passed into general use, but I particularly like the phrase used by the authors of the Penny Arcade webcomic: "booking face." :D

Edit: Sorry, I meant to mention that I agree with heypresto with regard to the actual question about "surfing.'

Egmont

English - U.S.
    And how about "to browse Facebook"?
    That's fine, if you are looking at many Facebook pages in the hope of finding something interesting or useful. If you're doing anything else on Facebook, browsing is the wrong verb. It should not be used if you're updating your Facebook page, checking the status of a specific friend, and so on.

Phoebe1200

Russian-Russia
    That's fine, if you are looking at many Facebook pages in the hope of finding something interesting or useful. If you're doing anything else on Facebook, browsing is the wrong verb. It should not be used if you're updating your Facebook page, checking the status of a specific friend, and so on.
    Thank you!

MarekD

Russian - Russia
    I don't think 'surfing' is used when talking about particular web sites. If I used Facebook (which I don't) I think I would say 'I'm looking at Facebook' or 'I'm on Facebook'. It wouldn't surprise to hear a new verb has been coined (Facebooking?) which I'm not familiar with. ;) 'Scrolling' certainly sounds wrong.

(Note Facebook is capitalised.)
    I don't think it's passed into general use, but I particularly like the phrase used by the authors of the Penny Arcade webcomic: "booking face." :D

Edit: Sorry, I meant to mention that I agree with heypresto with regard to the actual question about "surfing.'
    Thank you all!!

< Previous | Next >