to surpass 10 trillion a few

< Previous | Next >

slowik

Polish
- Actually we're really not that bad off, debt-wise. Sure we don't have a surplus but our debt isn't "trillions" and it's certainly not like it'll be too hard to get rid of it."

- You must not have noticed our debt surpass 10 trillion a few...
Does this mean: You must not have noticed our debt surpass 10 trillion by a few trillion?

If yes, then to surpass a million dollars a few means to surpass a million dollars by a few million dollars? Am I right?

• MichaelW

English (British)
    I don't think it is that exact, it is an ironic understatement. You must not have noticed our debt pass 10 trillion by a few (dollars or millions or trillions)... meaning by a lot.

[Edit] Wrong... bit more context given below, making it clear what "a few..." refers to.

Last edited:

Uncle Bob

British English
    Agreed that it is ironic but it says "surpass 10 trillion a few...", not "by a few". Isn't it trailing off from saying "surpass 10 trillion a few weeks/months ago".
    (Not that it makes much difference to the irony).

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Are you sure you have quoted this correctly and completely?
    It seems likely that the words after "few" are something like "weeks ago".

Please remember that you are required to give clear attribution for any quoted text and, if possible, provide a link to the source.
    This often allows us to identify transcription errors.

slowik

Polish
    It's a dialogue that happened between the commenters on the internet. Here is the whole dialogue:

<< You may quote up to a maximum of four sentences. >>

>>Actually we're really not that bad off, debt-wise. Sure we don't have a surplus but our debt isn't "trillions" and it's certainly not like it'll be too hard to get rid of it.

>You must not have noticed our debt surpass 10 trillion a few months ago so that they had to add on an extra zero to the national debt clock in times square.

And about providing the links: I don't do it here as I once wrote a lengthy post that included them and it seems to have gotten deleted exactly for containing links.

Last edited by a moderator:

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Thank you slowik.
    As you can see, your partial quotation of the text in the first post has caused serious confusion. You must see the enormous difference between a sentence that apparently stops, like this:
    - You must not have noticed our debt surpass 10 trillion a few...
    and the actual sentence that you have now provided:
    - You must not have noticed our debt surpass 10 trillion a few months ago so that they had to add on an extra zero to the national debt clock in times square.
    I have added emphasis to make the point.

slowik

Polish
    Oh dear!

I'm really sorry, I definitely would have not posted this question had I noticed the months ago part. Sorry for wasting your time.

< Previous | Next >