to surrender unimpeded

< Previous | Next >

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
If Saturday, which began an hour earlier and deprived her of Françoise, passed more slowly than other days for my aunt, she nonetheless awaited its return with impatience from the beginning of the week, because it contained all the novelty and distraction that her weakened and finical body was still able to endure. And yet this was not to say that she did not now and then aspire to some greater change, that she did not experience those exceptional moments when we thirst for something other than what we have, and when people who from a lack of energy or imagination cannot find a source of renewal in themselves ask the next minute that comes, the postman as he rings, to bring them something new, even if it is something worse, some emotion, some sorrow; when our sensibility, which happiness has silenced like an idle harp, wants to resonate under some hand, even a rough one, and even if it might be broken by it; when the will, which has with such difficulty won the right to surrender unimpeded to its own desires, to its own afflictions, would like to throw the reins into the hands of imperious events, even if they may be cruel.
(The Way by Swann's; M. Proust)

Would you be so kind as to tell me how the meaning conveyed by this passage would change were it 'unimpededly'?

Thanks.

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    The meaning is passive. Compare with this:

He left, unimpeded. - nobody stopped him.
    He left unimpededly. :confused:

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    You had me thinking you were saying your children were running around, and that you were offering the difficulty in concentrating as an excuse for having given an incomplete answer earlier.
    Had I not looked at the link, I would never have suspected that it was one the example sentences shown in the dictionary! :)

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Sorry Edinburgher. I've added some italics:). So how do you feel about this word that isn't in our dictionary and that my spell-checker doesn't approve of?

< Previous | Next >