to take [a/the] load of one's feet.

thuhoai

Vietnam
I have taught an indion "to take a load of one's feet", but I come across with "take the load off her feet" on a learing English website.

It was Sunday night and Allison was going to bed to "take the load off her feet" when she "stopped dead in her tracks." She remembered that her project was due the very next day. Since this project was a major part of her grade, she knew that it was going to have to "sweep her teacher off her feet."

Here is the link.http://library.thinkquest.org/4382/idiom.html

Can we say "take the load one's feet"?
Can anyone hepl me?
Thanks,

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I have taught an indion idiom "to take a load of one's feet".

Can we say "take the load one's feet"?
    Neither of these is grammatical English; neither makes sense.

The expression is to take a load off one's feet. It simply means to sit down; when you do this, your feet are no longer literally bearing your weight.

wandle

English - British
    The more common expression is 'to take the weight off one's feet'.
    This is usual in the UK. According to Google, it is also much more common across the internet.

Whether you say 'weight' or 'load', though, the true expression is 'the weight' or 'the load'.

That is because the saying means 'take the weight of your body off your feet' and thus it is referring to a specific weight. Therefore the definite article is required.

'To take a weight off your feet', on the other hand, would mean that you could be talking about some other weight.
    The indefinite article implies there is more than one weight on your feet. It suggests there are several weights on your feet, and invites you to take one of them off.

Last edited:

Biffo

English - England
    Incidentally I would avoid saying "Take the load off your feet!" or "Take the weight off your feet!" because some people would construe that as an insult!

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Over here in the US, "take a load off your feet" is the common expression, and it's not considered at all insulting. I've never heard "take the weight off your feet", and I'd think an obese person would indeed be hurt by that. (Come to think of it, I guess I wouldn't say "take a load off your feet" to an extremely obese person, either.)

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    I agree with Parla. Over in the US the "more common expression" is "to take a load off one's feet." (Sorry, wandle... I don't think language and logic are going to work together perfectly here.)

That being said, I would expect to hear the phrase in a shortened, elliptical form, namely "to take a load off." Oddly, in this shortened form, "to take the load off" sounds not as iffy to me.

< Previous | Next >