to take someone in with one's breath

DeeDol

Slovak
Hi, this is from The Serpent Papers by Jessica Cornwell. What does the bold part mean?

The person saying this just drank a little wine, inhaling the scent and commenting on its taste. Now he says this:

Now –’ he smiles, taking me in with his breath – ‘I’m ready! You may ask me anything you want. For this evening I’m yours.’

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    taking me in -> assessing me personally; forming an opinion of me
    with his breath -> as he breathes inThe image is one of his drawing in the character of the other person through his nose.

PS:
    The person (it would be helpful to expand such impersonal nouns) saying this just drank a little wine, inhaling the scent and commenting on its taste. (Where is this being said and to whom?) Now he (pronouns are not substitutes for a description) says this:

DeeDol

Slovak
    Thank you, Paul, and I'll bear the PS in mind. "He" is a murderer speaking to his next victim while cooking and drinking wine. Both of them know that he is about to kill her, so it is quite a strange situation.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Ah, that would have been most useful! I was going to add "with his breath -> as he breathes in, the image is one of his drawing in the character of the other person through his nose like an animal assessing its prey."

< Previous | Next >