To take someone lightly

< Previous | Next >

agueda

Korean
Hello,

I'm trying to say "I think that they couldn't have taken Rosette lightly, if she were not a peasant girl" in French.
My try is: "Je pense qu’ils ne pouvaient pas badiner Rosette si elle n’était pas une paysanne."
I'm doubtful of the word choice here--would "badiner" a right word for this context? Thanks very much!

• jierbe31

French from France
    Hello,

I don't think "badiner" is appropriate here.
    I'd rather take the expression in its literal sense of "prendre à la légère", that is "to not consider someone seriously".
    Moreover, unless I'm totally wrong, you've made a mistake on the tenses.
    I'd say: "Je pense qu'ils /n'auraient pas pu/ auraient été incapables de/ prendre Rosette à la légère si elle n'avait pas été une paysanne."

itka

français
    Un peu plus éloigné de l'original :
    "Je pense qu'ils auraient pris Rosette plus au sérieux si elle n'avait pas été une paysanne".

"prendre au sérieux" opposite of "prendre à la légère"

Moon Palace

French
    I can't tell why, but I wouldn't say prendre quelqu'un à la légère. Yet I would accept prendre quelqu'un au sérieux. I guess it has to do with the fact that prendre à is usually applied to a thing, not to a person. prendre quelqu'un au sérieux might be a recent evolution (recent being relative of course).
    If you want to retain the idea of lightly, I would suggest: prendre R avec légèreté...

non rien!

English- England
    WHat about if someone kept taking the mickey out of us in a light hearted way, and we were to say
    'Oh you should take it more lightly, he is only mucking about!'

What would it be in this context?

Thanks

< Previous | Next >