to the clear head, <and the plain, good sense>, of my old schoolfellow.

< Previous | Next >

park sang joon

Korean
The narrator recalls his adolescence.
He, his great aunt Miss Trotwood and his friends came to Ham's office to meet Mr. Micawber who is the clerk for local lawyer Uriah Hip, whom he struck in the cheek because of his mean behavior.
Uriah Hip is the partner of Mr. Wickfield, who is very sick now, whose only daughter Agnes is narrator's old friend, whom Uriah Hip has an affection for.
Mr. Micawber just now exposed Uriah Heep's illegal deeds, reading a prepared letter.
Traddles is the narrator's best friend and a lawyer.
Chapter 52 I ASSIST AT AN EXPLOSION
'~And I cannot help avowing that this was the first occasion on which I really did justice to the clear head, and the plain, patient, practical good sense, of my old schoolfellow. 'Then,' said Traddles, 'you must prepare to disgorge all that your rapacity has become possessed of, and to make restoration to the last farthing. All the partnership books and papers must remain in our possession; all your books and papers; all money accounts and securities, of both kinds. In short, everything here.'
[David Copperfield by Charles Dickens]
I think "the clear head" is in apposition to "my old schoolfellow."
If so, I was wondering what role "and the plain, patient, practical good sense" plays.
Thank you in advance for your help.

• Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    I did justice to my old schoolfellow's (1) clear head and (2) plain, patient, practical good sense.

kency

English - SE England
    He is describing 1)the head and 2)the sense of the old schoolfellow.

1)"Clear" describes his head.
    2)"Plain, patient, practical, good" all describe his sense.

park sang joon

Korean
    Thank you, Barque, Kency, for your so very helpful answer. :)
    Thank you, Glasguensis, for yet another so very kind answer from you. :)

< Previous | Next >