to the side of something

nagomi

Korean
"the empty space to the side of the text on a page, sometimes separated from the rest of the page by a vertical line:"

I think "to the side" describes an action as in "move to the side". (or to the left, but I'm citing this within brackets). Would you give me an example of "to the side" is used as it is in the sentence above? I feel "on the side" seems more appropriate. Just as people don't say "pun it to the side" to mean "place it off of the center of something."

source: MARGIN | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary

• bennymix

"at" is common, yes. Let's not forget 'on' and 'along'.

How about this, close to an example you wanted:

near to somebody/something
    • [singular] a place or position very near to somebody/ something Keep close to my side. {or Stay close to my side}
    • ===
    ================================
    Photo is labeled "Homes to the side"

Homes to the side - Picture of John Smith's Bay Beach, Bermuda - TripAdvisor

Last edited:

LVRBC

English-US, standard and medical
    In the example you cite, "to the side" refers to a location, not to an action. If you would like another sentence using the same phrase in the same way, here it is: The side effects are not listed in the center of the drug advertisement; they are off to the side. (p.s. - pretty gutsy trying to correct the dictionary's use of words!)

< Previous | Next >