to wait on the crumbs from someone's table

hey, this is related to one of u2's songs, it's called "Crumbs from you table"
well, I don't get the meaning of it. One of the sentences of this song goes: "I'm waiting on the crumbs from of your table"
please can anyone explain this to me?

• elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Cristian Alvarez Albani said:
    hey, this is related to one of u2's songs, it's called "Crumbs from you table"
    well, I don't get the meaning of it. One of the sentences of this song goes: "I'm waiting on the crumbs from of your table"
    please can anyone explain this to me?
    Welcome to the forums, Cristian.

I think "wait on" here means "wait for." "Crumbs" are little bits of bread (or other food, I guess) that sometimes fall off onto the table and the floor while one is eating. Usually, crumbs are fed to dogs or birds, or other animals. In this context, I suppose the singer is humbling himself to the status of a domestic animal, who "waits for (on) the crumbs that his 'master' gives him." Further context, though, would help explain the metaphor.

Chaska Ñawi

Canadian English
    Welcome to the forum!

This is an old expression in English - sometimes you'd hear something like "The poor man dines on crumbs from the rich man's table".

The idea is that he has nothing but someone else's leftovers, that he's dependent on the generosity of others.

Cristian Alvarez Albani said:
    sorry, I know what it means in spanish, but I think there is a special meaning, a connotation. Help, please..
    I've just read the lyrics of this song. It's about a girl who has treated men very badly.

I feel that, despite this, the man who loves the girl wants to have some sign of recognition from her, even something as humble as 'the crumbs from the table.'

Song lyrics can be very difficult to understand.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

LRV

GenJen54

USA - English
    sabelotodo said:
    It may be a Biblical reference. Refer to the Gospel of Matthew, chapter 15; or the Gospel of Mark, chapter 7.
    I always find it helpful to read the complete lyrics of a song before trying to make any type of assessment or interpertation, since song-writers, like poets, leave much open to interpretation. Just because there is a common "expression" in language does not mean that the song-writer used the expression in a way that is common or familiar.

That said, and having also read the complete Lyrics as found on THIS site, I agree with La Reine Victoria's assessment that the "crumbs" are a metaphor for the emotional outreach the "singer"/narrator is seeking from this woman.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Sabelotodo said:
    It may be a Biblical reference. Refer to the Gospel of Matthew, chapter 15; or the Gospel of Mark, chapter 7. Mod edit: promotion of another site removed.
    With U2's past record, it would be very surprising if this was not a biblical reference - crumbs from the rich man's table - but whether deliberate or not, I wouldn't know.

< Previous | Next >