To what extent + gerund

traductora16

spanish
Hi,

I would like to know how do you use "to what extent" ... can you write to what extent and after that a gerund...
I'll write the sentence I'm trying to write, let's see if its possible that you guys take a look for me.

Thanks in advance.

However, to what extent bringing the other(s) closer entails comprehension?

The original sentence is: ¿hasta que punto el acercamiento a/de los otros comporta su comprensión?

• Thank you

English - U.S.A.
    Hi,

I would not use the gerund after the phrase"to what extent" without preceding it by a conjugated verb.

Examples: To what extent have they damaged the property? (typical)

To what extent does (bringing others closer) aid in comprehension?

This does not make very much sense as I've translated it here! I want to show you how to use the gerund, but I definitely don't want you to use my translation at all! Wait for someone who better understands your original message. I'm not sure what "others/the others" refers to.

elianecanspeak

English - EEUU
    "¿hasta que punto el acercamiento a/de los otros comporta su comprensión?"

"However, to what extent does bringing the others closer entails their comprehension?"

This would be grammatically correct . . .

--(Because you are asking a question, you need to change "entail" into "does entail") and and move the "does" to the appropriate place in the sentence)

. . . but does not make sense in English. More context would help -- Comprehension of what?

< Previous | Next >